Re: [IBIS-Users]Difference in rise-fall waveform due to c_comp!!

Subject: Re: [IBIS-Users]Difference in rise-fall waveform due to c_comp!!
From: Alok Rungta (a0875973@india.ti.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 00:43:54 PST

Arpad,
I am not sure if I understood things correctly .. First I would further
clarify the experiment I did. I simulated a simple circuit with a
buffer(ibis model) and a load. I tried two loads one resistive and other
only cap. For each load condition I did 2 simulations with different
ibis model files wherein in the 2nd simulation I just changed the
c_comp(made it 10x the actual) value to see the effect of this
parameter on the simulation. What I observe is:

For Resistive load:(which is same as the load I used for generating the
V-t curve in IBIS model):
1>When there is a transition from low to high the waveform in both the
cases(with actual ibis model of the buffer and with the one which has
c_comp modified to 10x) is exactly same.
2>But when there is a fall transition at output the waveforms are
different for two cases.

For Cap load:
3> Waveform is different for the rise case in both the cases.
4> Waveform is different for the fall cases in both the cases.

 From what I understand observation 2 can be explained because of
current flowing in the buffer(outside in) and thus c-comp coming in
picture.observation 1 => no role of c_comp in low to high transition
because its inside out.
Observation 4 can also be attributed to an outside in effect where
c_comp comes into effect. But observation 3 is what I am not very clear
about .. One thing I deduce is that probably the v-t curves in the ibis
model are generated for resistive loads so when it comes to resistive
loads the simulator just uses IV curve and V-t curves in the model for
interpolation and generates the curve(accuracy depending on difference
between the loads you simuated for and load being used in the
simuation). When using the cap. load it cannot possibly use this V-t
curve in the same way because the load is of entirely different nature.
So it has to look at the c-comp. How is it using the IV information in
this case is not very clear to me ?
Can you please throw some more light on this ...

Thanks in Anticipation
Alok Rungta