[IBIS-Users] Question regarding .pkg versus simple RLC

From: Frank Dunlap <fdunlap@netlogicmicro.com>
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 18:09:04 PST

Presumably, a .pkg file provides "more" information than the simple RLC
in the [Pin] section of an IBIS model. Assuming that's the case, do
simulators actually take advantage of this additional information? Are
there cases where a .pkg file is preferred? Are there cases when it's
not preferred, such as where its added complexity may cause problems?

Furthermore, is there a straightforward relationship between RLC values
that would appear under the [Pin] section in an IBIS model, and
corresponding values that would appear in a .pkg file?

Here's an example from the [Pin] section of an IBIS model:

[Pin] signal_name model_name R_pin L_pin C_pin
AE6 HINT# V33OP 2.170 8.506nH 6.636pF
AE5 HRW# V33OP 2.165 8.475nH 5.865pF
C16 S_A00 V33OP 1.332 3.287nH 3.472pF

Here's an example from a .pkg file:

[Resistance Matrix] Banded_matrix
[Bandwidth] 0
[Row] 2255
 1.74791e+000
[Row] 2253
 1.74386e+000
[Inductance Matrix] Sparse_matrix
[Row] 2255
2255 1.21125e-008
2253 1.70009e-010
B19 1.73505e-010
[Row] 2253
2253 1.25283e-008
J21 1.22831e-010
F20 1.89512e-010
K21 4.09167e-010
[Capacitance Matrix] Sparse_matrix
[Row] 2255
2255 4.40327e-012
2253 -2.82931e-015
B19 -1.47570e-015
[Row] 2253
2253 4.33757e-012
J21 -1.04449e-014
F20 -2.65107e-015
K21 -8.93602e-015

The .pkg and [Pin] information are from two different data sets. I'm
sorry, but I don't have both .pkg and [Pin] information from a common
data set.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Frank