[IBIS-Users] How do various tools see the IBIS model?

From: Mohan, Prabhu <Prabhu.Mohan@actel.com>
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 17:57:34 PDT

Hi All,

A question regarding how various tools *see* the IBIS model.

I use HSPICE to generate the IBIS model and then the IBIS model is verified
against the spice simulation using the B element. This model is then
verified on an SI simulator with a simple net topology. The IBIS model
typically has 2 rising waveforms and 2 falling waveforms (all loaded with
50ohm to vcc/gnd).

Q1. Does HSPICE 'B element' support all the parameters in the IBIS file that
is compliant to version 3.2? Does it discard anything that would make my
verification using the B model less than 100% valid?

Q2. As per the spec I can have more than these 4 Vt curves, with different
loads. But do the simulators (HSPICE as well as SI) use all of them if I do
provide them? I have heard that simulators only take the first two
rising/falling waveforms no matter how many are provided. Is this still
valid?

Q3. When does it make sense to provide more than the usual 4 Vt curves?

Thanks
Prabhu/~