[IBIS-Users] [pin] spec?

From: Eric Hsu <ehsu@netlogicmicro.com>
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 17:26:52 PDT

Hi IBIS experts,

There are two questions about [pin] spec. of IBIS model:
Q1. Is it really necessary we should cover all of the pins assignment under [Pin] segment? For example, if there is a chip with 400 pins, but only 390 pins are really useful for application. Can I just have this ibis model only contain these 390 pins and skip the rest of 10 pins? In other words, can I make a ibis model only have 390 pins for 400 pins package?
Q2. If I have to specify all the pins including some pins not for real application (400 pins need to be specified in Q1, but not 390 only), what is the most appropriate model name I should use to describe these ten pins (by Q1 case) ? In terms of IBIS spec.(4.1), it only mention there are three name reserved for model name, which are POWER, GND and NC. I really don't like NC to solve this issue because it imply these 10 pins are "not connected" (if assuming this is definition of IBIS spec.), but actually maybe they are not. Based on this thought, it may cause other unwanted problems. Because by using "NC", it seems not really restrict the any possible way (such as short with power, ground or any signal) to connect these pins on PCB, either for testing or application.

Best Regards,

Eric Hsu
Interface Technologies
NetLogic Microsystems, Inc.
450 National Ave.
Mountain View, CA 94043
650-961-6676 x198
This e-mail contains NetLogic Microsystems, Inc. Confidential information