RE: [BULK] - [IBIS-Users] Input model really needed?

From: Henrik G. Madsen <hgm@vitesse.com>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 00:07:30 PDT

Hi

As I see it, your original buffer is an IO buffer.

Most of our cells are IO buffers, but they are used/connected differently on the die (internally) dependent on, where it is used. I.e. Address bus, data bus, control input etc.

If your basic buffer is an CMOS IO buffer, it can be used/connected internally in the following 8 configurations:
I/O: IO buffer
I/O_open_sink: Input/Open drain output
I/O_open_source: Input/Open source output
3-state: 3-state output buffer
Output: Output (not 3-stateable)
Open_sink: Open drain output
Open_source: Open source output
Input: As pure input buffer

The resulting IBIS model should reflects the buffers use/internal setup, not the basic construction of the buffer.

In your case, I would think that the IO buffer is hardwired internally as a 3-state output or pure output buffer. Make an IBIS model, which reflect that.

When you make the IBIS model, you should off cause include the whole IO buffer in the simulation, but strap the not used parts, so they are passivated.

Regards
/Henrik