RE: [IBIS-Users] parasitic ESD simulation

From: lgreen <lgreen22@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 10:17:50 PDT

Hi, Ramiro,

Physically, the p-n (drain-body) junction of the PMOS turns on. Also, if
the output pin goes above Vcc+Vth_fet, the PMOS can turn on, with current
flowing from the output to the power supply. ("source" becomes "drain"
under these bias conditions.)

Older SPICE models did not accurately represent the diode clamping of the
FET junctions; I am not sure if that is still true in BSIM4.

Also, some fabs might not characterize the relevant parameters accurately,
since this requires driving the device outside its "normal" operating
region. I have heard reports of as much as a factor of 10 difference
between SPICE and measurement. A check against measurements is a good way
to catch SPICE parameter problems.

- Lynne

"IBIS training when you need it, where you need it."

Dr. Lynne Green
Green Streak Programs
http://www.greenstreakprograms.com
425-788-0412