RE: [IBIS-Users] ibischk4

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak@intel.com>
Date: Wed Nov 03 2004 - 09:47:07 PST

Andy, Katja et al,

There is, in fact, a relationship which should be maintained between
[Ramp] data and I-V curves: the relationship between the dV portion of
the [Ramp] values and the R_load load line intercept with the driver I-V
curves.

Simply put, the R_load of [Ramp] defines a load for use in a load line
analysis of the buffer I-V curves. For example, imagine a standard CMOS
"totem-pole" output-only driver with default [Ramp] R_load of 50 ohms.
Now imagine this R_load load line "drawn" across the I-V curves for the
pullup and pulldown. The voltage intercepts of these load lines with
the I-V curves are the full swing voltages of the outputs when driving
into R_load.

Calculate the 20-80% values of these full swing voltages. These 20-80%
values should match the dV portion of the rising and falling [Ramp]
values. If there is no match, then the DC and transient behaviors of
the buffer don't match and will cause the same problems as an I-V vs.
V-T mismatch would.

You can find additional information on this issue in Section 9, "Notes
on Data Derivation Method," at the end of the IBIS specification.

I hope this helps!

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum