Re: [IBIS-Users] ibischk4: ramp<->static curves

From: Bob Ross <bob@teraspeed.com>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 10:33:07 PST

Katja and Andy:

Comments below.

Bob

Andrew Ingraham wrote:

>>... Do you have physical or mathematical
>>basis for the cosine wave?
>

> Not really. Just from observations of simulated and measured waves. A
> cosine wave is easy to simulate and has the right kind of rounded corners on
> both leading and trailing parts of the edge, and overall shape.
>
> I always was a little uncomfortable about the sharp corners in a Pulse or
> PWL waveform which never happen in real life.

The mathematical basis for a quadradic polynomial is that you
can produce smoothing that matches the start and end points AND
their slopes exactly at 0% and 100% and arbitrary percentages
(e.g., 20-80% , 10-90%, etc.) for a continuously smooth, but slightly
delayed "ramp". Other functions might also work.

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs