[IBIS-Users] RE: BIRD95: Power Integrity Analysis Using IBIS

From: Antonio GIRARDI <antonio.girardi@st.com>
Date: Mon Jan 10 2005 - 00:33:50 PST

Dear Muranyi,

I agree with you about the need to identify a solution for describing
the "gate modulation effect" by legacy buffer modeling techniques.
I think this solution will increase a lot the quality and accuracy of
IBIS model simulations, expecially in the design of high-speed
systems.

About this issue, we have done internally a lot of benchmarking activities
to evaluate the accuracy of IBIS SSO simulations vs SPICE ones, because
it is a very critical bottleneck to perform accurate IBIS signal
integrity analysis
for system-in-packages design.

To reduce the mismatching IBISvsSPICE, we have identified two mandatory
steps:

1) to estimate the capacitances of the IC power nodes and back-annotate
them to IBIS models. The capacitances considered are fullchip and include
the total self and mutual capacitances between buffers (Vddq, Gndq) and
core (Vdd, Gnd) power nodes, including also the equivalent capacitances
of ESD structures and parassitic diodes connected to power nodes.
This step permits to recover the correct behaviour of the power and ground
nodes, but it doesn't solve the error due the "gate modulation effect" lack
which impacts on the delay and ringing simulations accuracy.

2) to solve the "gate modulation effect" error. For this goal we have
implemented
the Vgs modulation description using the VHDL-AMS language, starting
from the
IBIS model template suggested by you. The results seem to be very
interesting.
Our approach has been based on extrapolating some tables which describe
the current through pullup and pulldown for different values of Vgs,
keeping the
Vds values fixed.
I think this approach might be implemented also by legacy buffer
modeling techniques,
but it has to be joined to a new IBIS simulation stategy in the EDA
tools available
on the market.
I think the [Series Composite Current] keyword in the BIRD95 also
presents this need.
Best regards,

                     Antonio Girardi