RE: [IBIS-Users] IV Curves

From: <rrwolff@micron.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 07:52:17 PST

Lee,

The reflection coefficient is a measure of mismatch between the
impedance of the transmission line and the impedance of the load. It
indicates how much energy reflects off the load back down the
transmission line and with what phase shift. The reflection coefficient
can vary from -1 to +1 and indicates a phase shift from 0 to 180
degrees.

The equation for reflection coefficient (RC) is:
RC=(Zl-Zo)/(Zl+Zo), where Zl is the impedance of the load and Zo is the
impedance of the transmission line. Let's look at three cases where Zo
is 50 ohms in each case.

Case 1: The load is an open circuit, so Zl=infinity
RC=(infinity-50)/(infinity+50) = 1
The reflected voltage (Vr) would be forward voltage (Vf)*RC = Vcc*1 =
Vcc
The load voltage (Vload) is Vf+Vr = Vcc+Vcc = 2*Vcc

Case 2: The load is perfectly matched, so Zl=50
RC=(50-50)/(50+50) = 0
Vr = Vf*RC = Vcc*0 = 0
Vload = Vf+Vr = Vcc+0 = Vcc

Case 3: The load is a short (very, very low impedance), so Zl=0
RC=(0-50)/(0+50) = -1
Vr = Vf*RC = Vcc*-1 = -Vcc
Vload = Vf+Vr = Vcc+(-Vcc) = 0

You can see that in case 3, -Vcc is reflected towards the driver. I
hope this helps.

Randy Wolff
Micron Technology