[IBIS-Users] RE: on-die termination ... one more time

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_ f rom>
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 11:47:37 PST
Ramiro,

Thanks for the message.  I re-read my original text and, at the risk of
embarrassment, can only conclude I made a very misleading statement.

My *intent* was to say that there was no requirement in the parser or
the specification for I-V curves to *pass through the origin* (0 V, 0
A).  In fact, as I stated, one of your clamp curves will not pass
through the origin if you include an internal termination and account
for it in the [POWER Clamp] and [GND Clamp] I-V tables.

I have performed some experiments and find that the parser *does indeed*
check that the current data "becomes zero" (or at least to become within
1e-6 A of zero).  Honestly, I had never seen this warning before in
almost ten years of creating and checking IBIS models.

To my knowledge, there is no requirement explicit in the specification
for this, but it's definitely a good idea from a design perspective.
Comments and elaborations on this here on the reflector are welcome.

I hope this helps and sorry for the confusion.

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum