[IBIS-Users] Comments on the 18 Teleconference - Macromodeling.

From: Itzik Peleg <itzikpe_at_.....>
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 09:04:05 PST
Hello IBIS users

I want to comment on the Macromodeling:

But, 1st proper disclosure:

I am familiar with spice language and not familiar with AMS languages.

Some questions:

1.     As far as I understood the spice Macromodeling has the same
capabilities as the AMS languages (in terms of behavioral modeling).

2.     IBIS support the external languages, SPICE, VHDL-AMS and
Verilog-AMS. The requirement from IBIS EDA tool developer to support
these 3 languages is too much in my opinion. The implementation of this
languages in simulation tool will take a long time (if it will be
implemented) shouldn't we focus on the concept of Macromodeling by a
fixed syntax (one only). By that allowing the EDA tool vendors develop
complete IBIS support for one set of commands (this will enable them to
support IBIS 4.1). The models author will use only one set of commands
(or use his own scripts for translation to the IBIS format from
different formats that he might use) this will enable a consist usage of
the language by all with the flexibility of the author to develop any
kind of buffer type.

3.     Today there are simulation tools that support IBIS. How can we
verify that all the tools run the IBIS in the same way? When we are
going to use complex modeling the problem will be more severe.

My opinion is:

1.     Use only one language for Macromodeling.

2.     IBIS forum should recommend and develop templates for different
buffer modeling needs.

3.     The IBIS forum should check each EDA tool simulator for compliant
(there could be different levels of compliant like the different IBIS
specs 1.1 2.1 3.2 etc').

Open for dissociation / comments.

--
Regards

Itzik Peleg
Board Technology Group

Please Note: email address change to: itzikpe@marvell.com

Marvell Semiconductor Israel Ltd
6 Hamada Street

Mordot HaCarmel Industrial Park

Yokneam 20692, ISRAEL
Email - itzikpe@marvell.com
Tel   - +972 4  9091192
Cell  - +972 54 4452482
Fax   - +972 4  9091501
WWW Page: http://www.marvell.com <BLOCKED::http://www.marvell.com>
This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information. The information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not
immediately by telephone, or by e-mail and delete the message from
your computer.

Thank you!