Re: [IBIS-Users] Comments on the 18 Teleconference - Macromodeling.

From: Bob Ross <bob_at_.....>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 19:10:02 PST
To All:

Itzik and Gary raised some good points related to the motivation
for both the SPICE-based macromodeling and AMS approaches.

The macromodeling approach is still in the proposal stage, so it
is too early to speculate on how it will evolve.  IBIS Version 4.1
already allows a link to Berkeley SPICE (a lowest common denominator
to avoid favoring any vendor-specific SPICE).  As I understand
the macromodel approach, IBIS would allow some extensions that are
missing in Berkeley SPICE, but common to most of the popular SPICEs
including: (1) an IBIS Version 2.1 Buffer element, (2) EFGH tables,
(3) some paramater passing method such as the .PARAMS syntax, and
(4) some other extensions for relative or triggered time control
sources.

These functions along with existing equation processing and
basic SPICE elements provide a possible set of "primitives" from
which macromacromodels can be created to mimic more complex behaviors
including those within and beyond IBIS Version 3.2/4.0.  Public
templates for such features can enable the industry.

Several EDA vendors already connect IBIS with specific SPICE or
SPICE-like languages and can immediately support the macromodeling
approach.  However, these approaches are vendor-specific, and the
models are not portable.

The IBIS challange is how to address the portability issue based on
(1) a defined IBIS linkage such as in Version 4.1 and (2) a portable
generic-SPICE language.

The EDA tool support issue reduces to a compatibility mode to
bring in any syntactically unique elements within a standardized
linkage structure as in IBIS Version 4.1.  Or at a lower level,
the support could consist of build-in or stand-alone language
convertors.

IBIS needs to pick the syntax.  It could range from adopting (and
favoring) one vendor's syntax to a mixture of some existing syntaxes,
or even to creating a new syntax to equalize the playing field,
but delay support.  Any supporting equation syntax already requires
conversion to some vendor SPICEs.

The AMS approach already gives two choices to standarize the syntax
in a much more formal and robust manner.  That provides its theoretical
and potential future advantage.

However, there are barriers to wide-spread AMS acceptance including
lack of familarity, very slowly emerging EDA tool support, lack of
a clearly defined "lockout" technical or performance advantage, perhaps
some weaknesses in the IBIS linkage and its capbility, plus the lack
of the whole industrial infrastructure involving templates, development
and validation tools and industrial knowledge.  The consequence is that
models and linkages still have to be uniquely crafted for each vendor
to overcome limitations or to add vendor-specific features.  As a result,
the AMS approach offers no practical model portability advantage over
any vendor-specific syntax.

So the AMS and macromodeling approaches could emerge as competing
alternatives.  From a model providers perspective (which could
also be the customer's and semiconductor vendor's perspective),
a winner could emerge based on how well IBIS promotes and industry
accepts model portability as a driving factor (assuming one tool
does not become dominant based on other factors).

Bob

Pratt, Gary wrote:

> Hello Itzik,
>
> Allow me to comment on your #1.  The capabilities of spice macromodeling
> and AMS languages are quite different.  This is primarily the reason AMS
> languages were developed, and are gaining momentum in the IC and System
> design space.
>
> AMS languages are self-contained programming languages.   They can
> accommodate any future technologies or applications with no need to add
> further syntax to the standard, or involve any standards committee or
> tool-vendor engineering team.  Macro-modeling is much like UNIX
> scripting.  It is a great way to quickly accomplish some automation, but
> can become complex for larger tasks or impossible if the task requires a
> UNIX command which isn't available (similar analogy applies to DOS batch
> files, or WORD macros if you are a Windows user).
>
> Spice macro-modeling is similar to the situation which
> existed for digital modeling in the 1970s and early 80s.  At that time,
> modeling for digital simulators was done with primitives such as
> flip-flop blocks, Boolean logic blocks, etc.  Complex macro models could
> be built from these primitives, but often times extreme cleverness was
> required when an application came along that needed different primitives
> than were provided by the simulator vendor.  And, since simulator
> vendors weren't able to decide on a fixed set of primitives, models were
> not transferable.  For many of the same reasons VHDL and Verilog
> replaced replaced digital macro modeling in the 80s (synthesis,
> notwithstanding), AMS has been slowly replacing other alternatives in
> the late 90s and 00s.
>
> As I understand, the reason the IBIS committee adopted AMS is to avoid
> the need to add further syntax to the IBIS language for each
> new application and technology.  It seems like the macro-modeling SPICE
> syntax, and proposed standard templates, are prime examples of
> the syntax creep AMS was intended to avoid (SSO enhancements as well,
> perhaps).
>
> In an ideal world, the creator of the next generation of spice2ibis
> would target AMS as their output.  In that way they have, immediately at
> their disposal, everything they could possibly need to accurately
> model new technologies and applications (in a well documented, industry
> standard, structured language).  There would be no need to make
> proposals to the IBIS committee, wait for ratification, and then wait
> for adoption by the SI tool vendors for each new technology.  Everything
> would be completely self-contained, and would run in every SI tool that
> support the current IBIS 4.1 standards.
>
> Thats my 2 cents worth.  Hope that helps.
>
> Gary

Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs
121 North River Drive              13610 SW Harness Lane
Narragansett, RI 02882             Beaverton, OR 97008
503-750-6481                       503-430-1065
http://www.teraspeed.com           503-246-8048 Direct
bob@teraspeed.com

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC