RE: [IBIS-Users] How do simulators handle C_Comp?

From: Abril, Giovanni \(Space Technology\) <giovanni.abril_at_.....>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 20:33:19 PST
Sanjay,

Here is a response to the same question from a few years ago, with respect to the ICX simulator, also from Mentor:

The effect of C_comp is only double counted if you are using a substandard simulator.  All the major simulators that I know of expect C_comp to be specified with the same (static approximation) value as what is included in the waveforms.  Somewhere in the simulator this is reconciled.  Usually it is done is such a way that the capacitive effect is calculated out of the waveforms and then the lumped capacitor is present at the pin during the transient simulation..

As Arpad noted, the capacitive effect is usually impossible to remove from the SPICE models used to derive IBIS data.  It is part of the transistor models.  Arpad and others have proposed methods of finding the best static value of the die capacitance to use for C_comp and this value needs to be there.  If you put the value of 0 for C_comp then the simulator will try to back out the capacitance and put no capacitance at the pin.  At first this seems OK because the waveforms still have all the capacitive effect.  The problem appears when a reflected signal hits this pin or if this pin is hi-Z.  There would be no capacitive loading and you would then have invalid simulations.

I assume Hyperlynx is not a "substandard simulator" so it shouldn't double-count either.