[IBIS-Users] RE: (IBIS Model accuracy)

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Wed Jun 22 2005 - 17:00:22 PDT
Lee,

Thank you for your interest in IBIS!

May I ask, from whom did you hear this?  The statement "IBIS is not
accurate" or "IBIS is not accurate above xxx GHz" is very common but
usually made without elaboration or justification.  For instance, IBIS
accuracy in terms of what: voltage waveform correlation?  Timing?  How
and to what standard is "accuracy" being evaluated?

We have several presentations from our IBIS Summit series documenting
and comparing IBIS performance up to 3.125 GHz.  For example:

IBIS Models at 1.25 GHz and Beyond
(http://www.eda.org/ibis/summits/jun03b/haller.pdf)

Multi-Gigabit SerDes System Level Analysis Using IBIS v4.1
(http://www.eda.org/ibis/summits/jun05/huq.pdf)

In most cases, miscorrelation of simulation results using IBIS versus
those of other model types (for example, transistor-level models) result
from incorrect generation of IBIS data or use of data in the wrong
context, such as "overclocking."  Some even object to IBIS because it is
a behavioral modeling method which is more abstract than
transistor-level models and therefore "must be leaving something
important out."  Again, without a specific metric of comparison, this is
essentially a philosophical rather than a technical issue.

We are aware of aspects of the IBIS specification which make correlated
model generation inconvenient or difficult, but IBIS per se does not
suffer from an accuracy problem.

I hope this helps!

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.