[IBIS-Users] FW: *-AMS language versions in IBIS

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 16:26:11 PDT
Hello everyone,

I would like to generate discussion on VHDL-AMS and Verilog-AMS version
numbers in the IBIS specification.  The IBIS 4.1 spec says, in part, the
following:

| "VHDL-AMS" refers to "IEEE Standard VHDL Analog and Mixed-Signal
| Extensions", approved March 18, 1999 by the IEEE-SA Standards Board
and
| designated IEEE Std. 1076.1-1999.
|
| "Verilog-AMS" refers to the Analog and Mixed-Signal Extensions to
| Verilog-HDL as documented in the Verilog-AMS Language Reference,
Version
| 2.0.

Please note that the *-AMS version numbers mentioned in the IBIS spec
are
fixed values.  Verilog-AMS is already past Version 2.2 of its LRM, and
VHDL-AMS is due for a five-year renewal soon.

As written, every time new version of these languages comes out, the
IBIS
specification will have to be updated to change the *-AMS version
numbers.
With IBIS updates occurring very infrequently, new and useful features
in
the *-AMS specifications may not be available to the IBIS community for
over a year (or more) after the new LRMs are approved.

In attempt to remedy this problem, I authored BIRD99 which can be found
at:  http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/birds/bird99.txt.  The BIRD makes the
*-AMS
language versions listed in the IBIS specification the *minimum*
supported
set, but permits support of more recent versions.

From my perspective as a model-maker and user, there are times when I
cannot
solve certain modeling problems without some of the latest features in
the
*-AMS languages and tools.  This is not permitted in IBIS 4.1, as
written.
However, I understand there are other views on this situation, which
became
apparent in our (healthy) debate in the last IBIS Open Forum
teleconference.
I would like to continue and expand the discussion here to get a better
overall picture on the problem so we can find the best solution for this
problem.

Please express your opinions and needs, so we could make a wise decision
for the IBIS specification.

Thanks,

Arpad