[IBIS-Users] Differences between Hspice netlist simulation and Hspice B-element simulation - bug or feature?

From: <Radovan.Vuletic_at_.....>
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 05:52:03 PDT
Hi IBIS Experts,

I have extracted IBIS model. To check the quality of this model I have compared the results of simulation on Hspice B-element with simulation on netlist -
that means, I have used exactly the same stimuli applied on B-element and on netlist (IBIS is extracted out of this netlist).

What is disturbing me is that I see a difference between B-element and netlist waveforms, i.e. B-element is always delayed in comparison to netlist result. What is even more disturbing is that this delay is not the same for rising and falling edge. Rising edge of B-element is delayed for around 20ps and falling edge of B-element is delayed for around 40ps. I have a feeling that this delay is somehow connected with transient analysis step (.TRAN 1.96e-11 1.96e-09) but I am not sure. Once again, I apply exactly the same stimuli on B-element and on netlist (and of course the same termination - load). Has that to do something with some version of Hspice or it is a problem of IBIS extraction tool (s2ibis2)?

So the question is: Is this difference between B-element and Hspice bug or feature? If it is bug is it a problem of s2ibis2 or I perhaps the question what is Hspice doing with B-element? And finally - what should I do to repair the problem?

Many thanks for any advice!
Radovan

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / S po¹tovanjem
Radovan Vuletiæ

Infineon Technologies AG
MP PD PDE
Room 03.911