[IBIS-Users] Re: IV curve sweep range

From: Muranyi, Arpad <arpad.muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 13:45:00 PDT
Hello everyone,

I hope you don't mind that I brought this discussion to the
IBIS and IBIS users reflectors, but I wanted to save Mike
a bunch of forwarding these messages to and from me (since
I don't want to sign up to the IBIS quality list at the moment).
Plus the subject ultimately is a spec related one, so it may
not hurt to discuss it in these lists.

I agree with Tom, that those original IBIS ranges are still
useful.  The point I was trying to make is that IBIS REQUIRES
those ranges, period.  True, the parser doesn't flag models
now which do not obey these requirements of the IBIS
specification, but technically these models are out of spec.

Also true, the model maker can always do a smaller range, and
then add two points on the two ends, just to satisfy the spec
requirements, but if the table has 100 points already, the
model make will have to figure out which other two points
they have to remove before they can add the points at the ends.

Forcing the model maker to generate models for the -Vcc to 2Vcc
range may reduce the quality of the model, because many points
may be used up in those areas of the curves which never get used,
and at times it may not be possible to generate those points due
to convergence issues.

The comment from Bob about the current limiting at 1A or 10A
seems to be a related, but different issue.  I would like to see
that the IBIS specification is fixed so that it doesn't REQUIRE
the -Vcc to 2Vcc range.  But I agree, this may be a difficult
one, because if we just eliminate the rule, we may start getting
a bunch of useless models, if people don't know what ranges they
should provide.  So what should the spec say then?  Spell out
some STRONGLY RECOMMENDED rules?

Thanks,

Arpad