RE: [IBIS-Users] Mixed-Signal Analog IO ?

From: Tom Dagostino <tom_at_.....>
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 09:34:03 PDT
Lars

IBIS is really not meant to model analog signal pins.  It was designed to
model two state logic signal driver and receivers.  None of the SI
simulators I'm aware of will simulate an analog function properly.  Though
some of the simulators will do nice things if you have an IBIS 4.1 model and
are using the -AMS capabilities.  But with IBIS 3.2 and earlier you will not
see analog effects.

With that said it is possible to create models for analog pins that will at
least allow analog nets to be included in crosstalk simulations.  For
example, if you have an input of an op amp.  If no IBIS model is assigned to
it then the net will not show up in a SI simulation.  If you assign a simple
IBIS input model to it then the simulator will recognize this net and you
can perform crosstalk simulations that include this net.

For an analog output you could create a simple output model that has the
same slew rate and strength of the analog function.  This would now allow
the simulator to include that net in a simulation.  Obviously this model
will not simulate like the real part but will give you crosstalk into other
nets and show any transmission line effects that might be interesting.

For a voltage output like the output of a band gap reference make a voltage
divider using a terminator model whose values give you the Thevenin
equivalent for the output impedance of the part you are trying to model.

Hope this helps.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane