RE: [IBIS-Users] R_pkg characterization frequency

From: Ray Anderson <ray.anderson_at_.....>
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 08:47:37 PDT
Michael-

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the spec does state that the R sub-parameter associated with the
[Pin Numbers] keyword is a has a DC per-unit-length value for describing
package stubs, however I don't interpret this to pertain to any of the
other R definitions (the package global R_pkg parameter or the R values
in the [Resistance Matrix section].

Since current (non ICM) package models in IBIS do not explicitly support
frequency dependent effects one needs to determine at which frequency it
makes sense to extract (or measure) the package parasitic values. We
have chosen to extract the RLC matrix values in our package models at
500 MHz for various reasons. It seems to me that to be self consistent,
the min/nom/max values for R_pkg, L_pkg, and C_pkg defined in the
[Package] section should coincide with the min/nom/max values for R, L
and C defined in the [Package Model] section. Having a high frequency
valued parameter in the model definition and a DC valued parameter in
the global [Package] definition seems like an invitation to confusion
and error.

We are currently considering the ICM models as a possibility for the
future. One question that I have is when will the use of ICM style
models become commonplace and which (if any) simulators currently
support ICM models (or have ICM support on their roadmaps).

Raymond Anderson

Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer

Product Technology Department

Advanced Package R&D