RE: [IBIS-Users] Information on Vref, Rref & Cref

From: Alex Hilbers <alex.hilbers_at_.....>
Date: Wed Jan 10 2007 - 01:47:10 PST
Sudarshan,

Interesting question. I always wondered how a table based model (V-I,
..), such as an IBIS model, could model any form of feedback control
system, as the IO pad you describe probably is. It seems that V-t
waveforms, together with a simulation tool specific algorithm, must do
that job. You verify this by comparing your simulation tool with actual
SPICE results. This is prone to variation based on which tool you use, I
donot think this 'algorithm' is standardised. To my knowledge XTK needs
the curves rising/falling, for load to VCC and GND (i.e. all 4),
otherwise the V-t tables are ignored. (Some vendors do provide only 1 or
2, which is useless). Interesting is what happens if you define several
load conditions (Rfixture = 25, 50, 75 Ohms), not to mention capacitive
and inductive loading. What will the simualtion tool choose, will it
interpolate, I donot have the faintest idea. I guess it won't work
within IBIS, which may be the reason you do not get answers.

Maybe a good reason to provide SPICE models for this type of buffer.
Either under NDA or encrypted. Level 50 HSPICE, i.e. Philips MOS Model
9, should be fine.

Best regards,
Alex Hilbers
Signal Integrity Analysis and Thermal Management, ASML, EDEV department

Building 7J0005, P.O. Box 324, 5500 AH Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-(0)40-268 5587, Fax: +31-(0)40-268 5530
Email: alex.hilbers_ f rom _asml.com, www.asml.com <http://www.asml.com/>