[IBIS-Users] RE: Tolerant IO cell's Supply voltage range.?

From: Henrik Madsen <henrik.madsen_at_.....>
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 08:06:18 PST
A extra comment to this discussion.

The cell technology has changed a lot since the original IBIS specs.,
likewise has the levels and numbers of power supplies.

The  '-Vdd to +2Vdd' should not be used headless for modern drivers, but
be adjusted to the 'usage/design' of the individual cell.

Last year I created some IBIS models for a cell library with the
following characteristics

* 3.3 V IO voltage supply

* 5 V tolerant inputs, max input voltage is 5.5 V

* 2.5 V internal ESD/clamp voltage supply. I.e. the driver pad is
connected to the internal clamp voltage through 4 diodes.

Using the '-Vdd to +2Vdd' could give 3 different options

-3.3 V to +6.6 V

-5 V to + 10 V

-2.5 V to + 5 V

Using the '5 V tolerant' level as basic for the range for the clamp
curves would not be wise and neither possible to simulate, nor measure.

With some difficulties, the models were created with -3.3 V to 6.6 V for
the clamp curves.

Regards

/Henrik G Madsen

________________________________

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 01:03:35 PST

Sudarshan,

The idea is to cover doubled-voltage reflections from unterminated
lines.  For example, PCI bus receivers do not terminate but the bus
instead functions using reflected-wave switching.  As a result, an
old-style 5 V PCI device, if used in a system with little line loss,
could drive a 5 V signal and see it reflected back to itself at 10 V off
the unterminated end of the line.  If you look at the original 5 V PCI
specification, the buffer overshoot section allows for something
approaching 11 V, if memory serves.  Lower speeds of USB have similar
tolerance rules.

You are correct that more modern drivers, particularly in low-voltage,
low-swing serdes terminated environments, are less likely to encounter
such harsh conditions.

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, EIA IBIS Open Forum