RE: [IBIS-Users] Package Modeling for W-element

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 09:22:11 PDT
Timmy,

Thanks for your note.  At present, neither IBIS 4.2 nor any earlier
version support trace modeling using the W-element (the W-element is a
proprietary format).

You are correct that the IBIS package model options under [Package],
[Pin] and [Package Model]/[Define Package Model] include lumped and
segmented RLC formats.  A third option using matrices is also available
under [Package Model].  We do recognize that all three capabilities in
IBIS may not be appropriate for today's fast-edge-rate designs,
particularly as the loss terms available are not frequency-dependent.

At present, work is underway in the IBIS Open Forum to link the ICM
specification under IBIS to describe packages.  ICM (the IBIS
Interconnect Modeling specification) is available now and defines an
IBIS-like interface to interconnect data, including frequency-dependent
RLGC matrices and S-parameter data using the Touchstone(R) format.
Until ICM can be linked to a model directly under IBIS, users with
access to both can link IBIS buffers and ICM package models within the
system topology.

Support for ICM is growing in support in the industry, both in terms of
model providers and EDA tool vendors.  Check with your suppliers
regarding support.  The ICM specification and parser are available
through the IBIS websites linked below.

Coincidentally, presentations on both the package modeling problem and
the use of ICM were given at the recent IBIS Summits in Asia:
http://www.eda.org/ibis/summits/index-bydate.htm.

I hope this helps!

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.