RE: [IBIS-Users] Package Modeling in IBIS -Matrix format

From: Sam Chitwood <samchitwood_at_.....>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2007 - 13:07:21 PDT
Hi Tim,

Sorry for my late reply.  I just now had a chance to look at the file you
provided.

Every IBIS package model has a unique combination of benefits and
limitations.  Lynne mentioned one of the drawbacks, which is unfortunately
common to many of the IBIS package models.  Because of this assumption, an
IBIS model should only have one logical "pin" for power and one for ground.
Multiple RLCs for a single net are dangerous.

The major benefit of this model is that coupling can be defined between
pwr/sig/gnd.  Because of this feature, the coupled RLC matrix format is the
best official IBIS package model format for PCB designers wanting to perform
system-level SSO analysis.  (I emphasize official because many package
designers commonly use other types of package models.)

However, the model has to be correctly generated and implemented in
simulation.  Note the attached picture; it shows one of the dangers about
many IBIS models.  The trouble is in the "ground" pin.  See how it can have
a capacitance term?  That's bad.  You may or may not know what the PCB
simulator will do with that term.  The picture shows how some tools use an
"ideal ground" reference node that is different from the GND node shown in
the picture.

Does your simulator connect "ideal ground" and GND?  You need to know this
if you want to use models that contain C terms for ground nets (like the
model you attached to your original email).  This is also dangerous.

Thankfully, there are other ways to generate the model that do not require
the use of "ideal ground".  I prefer those techniques much better because
then you do not have to worry as much about what the simulator does with
"ideal ground" and GND.

In summary, be suspicious of IBIS models that have either of the following:

1) Multiple pin RLCs for a single net

[Pin]     signal_name      model_name      R_pin    L_pin    C_pin

1          VDD                POWER            1.1        1.3        1.5

2           VDD                 POWER            1.2        1.4        1.6

2) RLC entries for "ground" nets

3           VSS                 GND                 1.7        1.8
1.9

Either of these can cause incorrect results in some tools.

Thanks,

Sam

  _____