RE: [IBIS-Users] re: Warning message for IO_open_drain model

From: Tom Dagostino <tom_at_.....>
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 10:22:30 PDT
Lynne

I assumed (bad engineer, bad engineer) that the 1M resistor came from the
datasheet and not a made up number.  I too think it is a very high value but
I had no basis to question it from the information in the question.  I've
seen a lot of open sink drivers in all the models we have done and have
found many way too weak to drive a 50 Ohm pullup to any reasonable Vmeas.
Open sink driver applications seem to be split between three different
categories; 1. very low power status bits, 2.  LED drivers and other
applications where speed is not an issue and only require a mA or so and  3.
High speed wired OR applications.  A 1M pullup would fall into the first
category but it still seems to be on the high side.  But if your application
is battery powered it may make sense.

I'm not sure you have your transmission line theory correct.  Let's take a
single 1V, 1psec edge propagating down a 6 inch transmission line terminated
into 50 Ohms to ground.  Let's assume the output impedance of the driver is
50 Ohms.  Let's also assume the Zo of the transmission line is 50 Ohms and
the speed of propagation is 170 psec per inch.  When the waveform is
launched into the transmission line the only impedance seen by the driver is
the Zo of the line.  The voltage at the output of the driver is now 0.5V
The signal has not been able to propagate down to the length of the line
yet.  As time goes by (6*170psec) the signal eventually reaches the end of
the line and is totally absorbed by the termination, there is no reflection.
So the driver sees a 50 Ohm load from the time it launches the edge down the
line until the power is removed.  The output voltage of the driver will
remain at 0.5V

If we were to replace the 50 Ohm termination with a short the driver again
would see a 50 Ohm transmission line when it launches the edge.  Again the
output voltage of the driver will be 0.5V.  After 6*170psec the edge will
get to the short and a large reflection will occur.  This reflection will
take 6*170psec to get back to the driver.  Up until the reflection returns
to the driver the impedance seen by the driver is 50 Ohms.  So for
12*170psec the driver sees 50 Ohms. After that time the reflection returns
to the driver and the driver now "knows" there is a short at end of the
line.  The output voltage from the driver is now 0V.  And you can see the
logic with a open at the end of the line.  The drive sees 50 Ohms for
12*170psec and then sees an open until the power is removed.  After the
reflection returns from the open the output voltage is 1V.

Regards

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane