[IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] How to generate IBIS models for Relay:

From: Tom Dagostino <tom_at_.....>
Date: Wed Jan 23 2008 - 09:16:42 PST
Sounds like you need to spend a little time reading the IBIS cook book.
There is a lot of information in it that will guide you to better
understanding of IBIS and its capabilities.

A relay consists of two major elements, the coil that provides the force to
close the relay and a set of contacts that make the controlled circuit.  The
coil can be modeled with a Rpower model type.  The inductance of the coil is
the L of the package, the resistance of the coil is the R and you can add
another pin and parallel a clamp diode if needed.  The diode clamp would be
a terminator model with a powerclamp and just put a short between this dummy
pin and the relay's coil model.

The relay contacts would be modeled as a series switch model.  Series
Switches are normally FET switches but if the series resistance is modeled
small enough it will look like a mechanical switch.

Diodes can be added to nets with terminator models if the diodes are
connected to a power or ground node.  The diode will just be a power or
groundclamp in the model.

Sockets and connectors are just connectors. Depending on your target
simulator there are several different means of modeling them.  The model
type you choose will also be dependent on the bandwidth required in your
application and if you need to model coupling in the connector or socket.

Depending on the resources available to you either SPICE or measurements
will get you most of the data for the models along with the information
contained in the datasheets for the parts.  For the connectors/sockets you
might want to add a 3D field solver to your tool kit.

Good luck

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane