Re: [IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] IV curves w.r.t. Rfixture / Rload

From: Michael A Cervantes <macervantes_at_.....>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 07:38:06 PST
Hello Chetana...
Just wanted to add that there is an excellent section in the "IBIS Modeling
Cookbook" ver 4.0 that describes the relationship between the I-V and V-T
curves (section 5.2.2) for the sake of data checking.  The I-V curves can
be used to predict the drive strength of your buffer when attached to a 50
Ohm Load and as Yasser mentioned below, Rfixture is used to determine the
switching characteristics of your buffer.  Just an additional note: The
output impedance of your driver can be approximated by determining the
slope of your tangent line to your I-V curve at your operating point.

IBIS Modeling Cookbook ver 4.0
http://www.vhdl.org/pub/ibis/cookbook/cookbook-v4.pdf

Mike C...

             Yasser Sabry
             <yasser_sabry@men
             tor.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  Chetana Raghuwanshi
             owner-ibis-users@         <chetana.raghuwanshi@nxp.com>
             eda.org                                                    cc
                                       ibis-users@eda.org, ibis@eda.org
                                                                   Subject
             02/07/2008 06:59          [IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] IV curves
             AM                        w.r.t. Rfixture / Rload

Hi Chetana,

I think there is no relation between  Pullup/Pulldown IV curves and
Rfixture

Rfixture is , generally, taken to be the transmission line characteristics
impedance to which the buffer will be connected. It affects rising and
falling waveforms

The customer should be a ware of the mismatch between the buffer output
impedance and the 50 Ohms line but this is not related to IBIS modeling

Regards,
Yasser

Chetana Raghuwanshi wrote:

      Hello All,

      I am generating IBIS Models ( based on 2.0 Format) for a
      bidirectional IO cell with output impedence of 32 Ohms.

      Customer specification is to use Rfixture/Rload value of 50 Ohms for
      IBIS Models.

      But when I see my pullup and pulldown I-V curves, the loadline
      corresponds to the Resistive load of 32 Ohms which is nothing but the
      output impedence of driver in my Bidir cell.

      I think that the pullup and pulldown I-V curves should correspond to
      Resistive Load of 50 Ohms. Am I correct in assuming this ?

      Or is it expected that irrespective of the value of Rfixture / Rload
      pullup and pulldown curves should correspond to Zout of driver ?

      Thanks in Advance

      Best Regards

      Chetana

Thank you and Best Regards,