RE: [IBIS-Users] Conditions for clamp and pullup/down tables

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 10:09:51 PDT
Rene,

You are raising very good questions, and your observation
is correct.  We were aware of this problem, but didn't
concern ourselves too much because this clamping diode
behavior is only effecting the overshooting signals.  In
general, designs with overshoot should not rely on the
clamping diodes of the devices for various reasons, and
because of that we shouldn't expect hair splitting accuracy
from the simulations based on clamping diode behavior.

In addition to that, the parasitic clamps of MOSFET models
in SPICE tools are quite often very inaccurate due to
inadequate modeling techniques which adds another reason
for not relying too much on the claming effects.

Also, more modern signaling schemes use terminations which
means that the signals will not get into the active region
of the clamping diodes in which case they can be neglected
in the models.

In summary, even though your observations are correct, we
didn't feel that this was an important deficiency in the
IBIS specification and models.  If you can show us an example
which would justify to make corrections to this situation
we could certainly address this issue.

Thanks,

Arpad