RE: [IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] Different PMOS and NMOS driver impedance

From: Tom Dagostino <tom_at_.....>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 09:38:25 PDT
No, no and no.

The load resistor used for extracting the VT waveforms should represent the
load seen by the driver on the circuit board.  Most reasonable circuit
boards will have trace impedances between 40 and 75 Ohms and usually the
design targets 50 Ohms.  So the IBIS model should characterize the buffer
into an impedance close to that. The generally accepted value is 50 Ohms.
It has nothing at all to do with the output impedance of the driver.  You
are not trying to match load/output impedance or maximize power transfer,
you are trying to get a macro model to be characterized near its operating
conditions.

There are no such things as IV VT curves. There are no loads associated with
extracting IV curves.

Extending the simulation time may or may not "fix" IV/VT curve mismatches.
Extending simulations times will only fix mismatches if the original
simulations did not allow the VT waveforms to reach their final value.  If
you have a problem understand the cause before jumping to a solution.  Just
jumping to a solution in most cases will not work.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane
Beaverton, OR 97008