RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] C_comp value

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Sun Sep 28 2008 - 21:20:02 PDT
Mey-Yee,

True, the waveforms in the waveform tables of an IBIS
model do include the buffer's internal capacitance
effects, and if we just added a C_comp capacitor to
the buffer model's output we would double count for
those effects.  However, most simulators I know have a
special compensation algorithm to prevent this from
happening because the capacitor has to be there,
because the model's current source doesn't behave
as a capacitor and when reflected waves arrive at
the buffer, it will not look capacitive and the
reflection coefficients from the buffer will be
incorrect.  I like to summarize this the following
way:

The C_comp capacitor has to be made visible when you
look into the buffer from the outside, but invisible
to the internals of the buffer model.

Arpad