Re: [IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] C_comp value

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh_at_.....>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 05:58:40 PDT
Mei-Yee,

Can you expand on the phrase "the netlist I used for the pad is an extracted netlist"?

Do you mean the transistor-level netlist used to create the IBIS buffer model in the first place ... that is, a transistor level netlist used to perform simulation under controlled conditions, the results of which were post-processed to create the IBIS buffer model?

If that's what you meant, and the transistor level netlist you started with included the output buffer's capacitance, then the conversion program (s2ibis3 or other) you used should have calculated and included C_Comp automatically in your buffer model.   Arpad is correct that the V-T curves in the IBIS model should include the effects of C_Comp, and the IBIS simulator needs to combine the V-T data and C_Comp during simulation without double-counting the effect of C_Comp.

... but I'm trying to understand whether your question was whether or not C_Comp was to be added explicitly to the original transistor level netlist.  The usual answer to that question is - no.

Todd.
Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products
SiSoft
6 Clock Tower Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(978) 461-0449 x24
twesterh@sisoft.com
www.sisoft.com

NG,MEI-YEE wrote:

Hi Arpad,

Just one quick question, if the netlist I used for the pad is an extracted netlist, does that mean the C_comp value is already incorporated inside (parasitics and all)? In that case, if I still put in an additional C_comp value, it would mean that I’m double-counting the C_comp?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mei Yee

MCPD, Avago Technologies (Malaysia)