RE: [IBIS-Users] Open drain buffer : Discrepency in IBIS model vs SPICE model simulations

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi_at_.....>
Date: Tue Sep 30 2008 - 11:17:52 PDT
Sandeep,

This is not too surprising, although the amount of
mismatch is larger than what I have seen in other
cases.  The mismatch happens because the IBIS model
cannot "extrapolate" to other load impedances if
your model only has data obtained at one value of
R_fixture.  This is why the specification allows
multiple sets of V-t curves at different R_fixture
values, although this capability is not supported
by many tools.

Think about it this way.  The model is supposed to
reproduce waveforms.  The data that is put into the
model is generated under certain conditions.  The
IBIS model will only be able to reproduce the waveforms
exactly if the conditions in your simulations are
the same as when the data was generated.  The rest
is guesswork...

Arpad