Re: [IBIS-Users] Rising falling waveform timestep

From: al davis <ad105_at_.....>
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 08:44:13 PDT
On Monday 27 October 2008, Anshul Bansal wrote:
> I had a question regarding the timesteps for the
> rising/falling waveform. Is it legal to use unequal timestep
> for the rising or falling waveforms?

The use of unequal timestep is preferred.  You should use more
points where they are needed to express detail and less points
in relatively flat sections.

It actually makes a difference.  If your data looks like steps,
with groups of consecutive values that are the same, you are
using too many steps.  It does matter.

You may not see a problem because files like that are common so
simulators will drop steps to make the waveform smooth and
simulateable.

> I did not read anywhere
> in the IBIS spec that prevents me from doing so. Even
> Hyperlynx is able to read the IBIS file with unequal timestep
> and does not give any warnings/errors.

What do you mean "even Hyperlynx" ????????