RE: [IBIS-Users] IBIS models using Silicon Measurement data

From: Tom Dagostino <tom_at_.....>
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 09:18:46 PST
Chetana

As Scott said we have been making SI models for over ten years, actually
about 15 years now, based on measurements of sample devices.  To do this we
have assembled considerable equipment, software and expertise to accomplish
this.

For equipment you will need several power supplies, one for each power
domain on the ICs that you will be modeling.  Plus you will need a "power
supply" that can perform the task of a curve tracer.

Second, you will need a stimulus to control the IC under test.  We use a
word generator.  You will have to size the features of your stimulus to
match the complexity of the parts you intend to model.

Third, you will need a wide band scope to digitize the waveforms for the VT
tables in the model.  We use 20 GHz sampling scopes for most of the parts we
model.  Again, you will have to look at the mix of ICs you will be modeling
to determine your bandwidth needs.

You will need to measure package parasitics and C_comp.  I use TDR
technology to do this so you will need a TDR based system also for your
scope.  You may want to use a VNA.

You will need to develop SW to run all the test equipment and store the
measurements.

You will need to develop SW to convert the measurements to the IBIS file
format.

You will need to develop test fixture technology to be able to power the
ICs, apply stimulus and make high quality measurements.

You will need lots of RF "plumbing" on hand to make your measurement jobs
accurate.  Plumbing includes coaxial cable, terminations, attenuators,
dividers, adapters, etc.

You will need some commercial SW such as IConnect from Tektronix so that you
can convert the TDR waveforms to pin parasitics and C_comp.

You will need a method of controlling the chip's temperature.

Or you could ask us for a quote and let us do work for you.

But if you really want to do it yourself we can put together a system for
you.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed(R) Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane