[IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] IBIS Usage

From: Chee Pin Chan <cpchan_at_.....>
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 04:32:55 PDT
Hi Shantala, regarding your enquiry on what is the role of IBIS model in SI analysis, the following are some applications of IBIS models which I could share with you.

1)       IBIS models can be used to perform the board signal integrity analysis and solve design problem before a prototype of PCB is fabricated. For example, it can be used in simulations to help determine the appropriate on board termination to reduce reflection as well as the desired trace length to achieve a good signal integrity level that meet the design specifications. This is helpful especially to reduce the risk of re-spinning the board.
2)       IBIS models can also be used in I/O features selection for a particular design. A designer would be able to use IBIS models to perform simulations and determine the appropriate settings such as drive strength, I/O standards, pre-emphasis and etc that best suit a particular design instead of waiting the device and board ready then only perform bench test on the design. This will greatly shorten the time to market of a design or product.

There are a number of docs online which I believe would be able to provide a much detailed explanation on IBIS models in SI analysis. I believe by google IBIS models SI analysis you would be able to find them. Please feel free to let me know if you have any concern. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Chee Pin