[IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] IBIS version 4.2

From: Mirmak, Michael <michael.mirmak_at_.....>
Date: Mon Apr 20 2009 - 09:42:45 PDT
Shantala,

Thank you for your interest in IBIS!  In general, you should be able to change the version number on existing models -- whether 2.1, 3.2, etc. -- to 4.2 and run the parser without major difficulty or incompatibility.  The IBIS Open Forum works very hard to ensure that new versions of the specification and parser support all previous features.  In some limited cases, you may see additional warnings or informational messages where the parser checks of older keywords and features have been improved.

In terms of changes from 3.2 to 4.2, note that both the 4.0 and 4.1 versions were introduced in-between the two releases you mention.  To list all the changes exhaustively here would create too lengthy a message.   However, the following should help you find the major additions:

The IBIS Tree 4.1, listing the keyword/feature hierarchy and changes in various versions, including 4.0 and 4.1: http://www.eda.org/ibis/ver4.1/tree4_1.txt
The readme file for 4.2 (00readme.txt) lists the following BIRDs as added into 4.2: BIRD87, BIRD88.3, BIRD89.1, BIRD90.2, BIRD91.3, BIRD92.1, BIRD93.1, BIRD94.2, BIRD96, BIRD99.1, BIRD100.2, BIRD101, and BIRD102

You can find the complete list of BIRDs at http://www.eda.org/ibis/birds/

Note that the tree hierarchy was included in the main specification starting with 4.2.

In terms of the impact to end-users, I leave that to your assessment based on the information above.  :)

- Michael Mirmak
  Intel Corp.
  Chair, IBIS Open Forum
  http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/