Re: [IBIS-Users] Rref_diff keyword

From: Bob Ross <bob_at_.....>
Date: Mon Jul 06 2009 - 22:45:08 PDT
Hi Cynthia:

My answers are in your text.

Best Regards,
Bob

Cynthia Low wrote:
> Dear IBIS experts
>
> I am currently looking at the Rref_diff subparameters under the [model]
> keyword and the usage of this subparameters. This subparameters is only
> available in IBIS specification of v4.1 but not in older version. May I
> know how this subparameters keyword is being used? the detail of the
> question is as below.
>
> IBIS Spec:
> Rref_diff is used for true differential buffer timing test loads. where
> the buffer hv to be specified only when the [Diff Pin]
> keyword connects two models, and each buffer references the same model.
> The Rref_diff and Cref_diff subparameters can be used with the Rref,
> Cref, and Vref subparameters for a combined differential and
> signal-ended timing test load.
> 1. My questions will be, can this Rref_diff sub-parameters be used ONLY
> when we engaged using the true differential [External Model] with either
> spice or vhdl-ams? As shown in the IBIS spec.

Yes, Rref_diff can be the only timing test load parameter for true
differential buffers, as illustrated in Section 6b.

> 2. Can this Rref_diff keyword be used in the context of a normal true
> differential buffer under the [Model] keyword, and at the same time the
> model is define under [Diff Pin] section to describe the timing test
> loads just like how the rest of the Cref, Vref keyword are used to
> facilitate for board-level timing simulation, with the setup as
> attached. Can the Rref_diff keyword used under the example below?

Rref_diff and Cref_diff can also be used for [Model]s when
they are connected by the [Diff Pin] keyword without the [External
Model] extension.  However, to prevent parser warning messages,
it is strongly encouraged to still add the Cref and/or Vref and Rref
subparameters.  Cref can be 0 F and/or Rref can be very large.
The parser check was added to be sure that the model maker intentially
meant to have a negligible single-ended timing test load.

So the example below may produce parser Warning messages.  If that is
the case, I would add

Cref = 0F

and/or possibly

Vref=1.163
Rref=1E9

as needed to remove any Warning messages.

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Labs

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC