RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: [SI-LIST] Re: Straw poll and call for comments: Crowdsource IBIS model directory by use of a wiki such as wikipedia?

From: Aubrey Sparkman <asparky@sparkright-solutions.com>
Date: Thu Apr 08 2010 - 09:45:41 PDT

Mike,

I would like more information on the debate about the value of merely passing on JEDEC limits versus the actual performance range of a part population. Your purchasing department would certainly appreciate the ability to do parts swapping. The only reason I can think of to qualify and use a model for the actual performance of a single supplier would be if I were going to try to optimized the performance of an interface for a specific design. This would also mean I might have to pay more for that part due to sole source, non-competitive pricing.

IMHO, generic waveforms have less value than in the past. As buffers are being pushed to switch faster, they are inherently becoming more linear. Last time I needed a waveform was to model an intentional non-linearity that the supplier introduced in a pull-down to slow the part down so it would meet the fall time spec.

Another value for the users of the specification would be that the specification would be more likely to be complete and realistic. I have seen specs in the past that had holes and non-overlap. I think I even remember one that allowed a Vol higher than the Vil....

As far as the testing goes, I'm fairly sure that would NOT be a problem. Indeed, the spec models would probably be tested multiple times by the multiple users. Some of us want our products to be robust so we try to break things... :-) Certainly I would spend some time verifying and validating any model I used.

I, for one, would like us users to push back on any new interface specification that did not include buffer models and test setup. Most suppliers already do demo boards -- why not models? This gets me back to one of my favorite platitudes: "A measurement for every model and a model for every measurement. Without both, I don't believe either."

Aubrey Sparkman
512-461-6165
asparky@sparkright-solutions.com