RE: [IBIS-Users]: Using HSPICE to run IBIS model

From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@sisoft.com>
Date: Fri Oct 15 2010 - 15:06:56 PDT

Bonnie,

The reason I put the pullup resistor at the far right part of the circuit
was because I was assumed this device was an open-drain output that would
be terminated on the PCB (typically with a resistor equal to the trace
impedance at the end of the net). I assumed the other parasitics you
supplied were meant to represent the package model - I didn’t take them
to be part of a termination network.

Needing a pullup for I-V data collection makes sense - how would the
output rise otherwise? I’d expect that you’d use a value of R_fixture
that corresponded to the value of termination customers would use in an
actual application, and use the same value for both I-V and V-T data
collection. It’s been a long time since I’ve generated an open-drain
model, through, so I’ll leave to others to comment on the finer points of
choosing the value of R_fixture.

Todd.

Todd Westerhoff
VP, Software Products