RE: [IBIS-Users] VT Data Length Mismatch and Over Clocking

From: Tom Dagostino <tom@teraspeed.com>
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 09:18:48 PDT

I guess I'm surprised this causes an issue. I don't recall seeing anything
in the IBIS spec requiring equal length VT tables. By definition all time
after a VT table has ended should equal the last point in the VT table until
a new transition occurs.

I also see a lot of parts that have different output amplitude
specifications at low frequencies vs. high frequency. This implies the part
was never designed to have finished transitions at the fastest toggle rate
of the buffer. So overclocking is a reality in modern parts.

There are many parts that have much faster falling transition than rising.
A good example of this is an open sink. Others include RS232 and the like.
And I've seen many more normal totem pole outputs exhibit the same
characteristics. And I've seen the reverse where the rise is much faster
than the fall by a factor or 3 to 5. Why should the rising table(s) have
the same time duration as the falling?

Tom Dagostino

Teraspeed Labs

9999 SW Wilshire St.