RE: [IBIS-Users] Requesting for some help / information regarding the use of IBIS in SI simulation.

From: Doug Burns <dburns@sisoft.com>
Date: Wed Jun 01 2011 - 06:55:03 PDT

All,

 I have to agree with Scott on this. For the type of packages as outlined
by Scott, if one were to take the detailed model from a simulator and
decompose it to a RLC format, the best correlation between the detailed
model and the simplified model will occur when the simplified RLC is
treated as a distributed structure such as a transmission line. Like
Scott, we have proven this multiple time on a wide variety of package
styles (leadframe through 24+ layer packages). There is no disagreement
that a detailed model will be better, especially for high frequencies, but
we must work within the limits of what IBIS can support. The mode detailed
that package description is in IBIS, the better estimation we can make,
but using lumped data for high speed signals is just causing an issue
where one really will not exist. EDA tools need to make the best
estimation of the available data to predict performance.

Doug

Douglas Burns
Signal Integrity Software, Inc
6 Clock Tower Place