RE: [IBIS-Users] RE: A newbie question

From: Timothy Coyle <tim.coyle@siconsultant.com>
Date: Tue Jul 26 2011 - 06:19:36 PDT

Hi Lior,

It sounds like you may be asking how do you use a differential IBIS buffer
in Spectre if you have it setup as a single-ended buffer with [Diff Pin]
keyword in IBIS? If so then it will depend on how Spectre uses IBIS models.
I think the way Spectre does it is that it will make you create two
instances of your single-ended buffer and then you can use the differential
outputs. So you could create a new block that calls each single-ended model
and have the corresponding differential output. You will probably have to
either apply inverting input signal to one of the single-ended buffers to
get inverting output or create a copy of single-ended buffer that has
Polarity keyword set to Inverting.

I think in most SPICE tools like Spectre and HSPICE when using [Diff Pin]
keyword by default you have to treat them as single-ended buffer and hook
them up as pseudo-differential buffer in your netlist. (Of course you should
consult the user guide as some tools have more features than others) As you
are probably aware in most Signal Integrity tools where you have a schematic
topology entry tool you can just drop down a differential driver component
and then the EDA tool will actually use the [Diff Pin] keyword and give you
settings to configure it properly.

So if you need to setup in Spectre to use this IBIS model ignore the [Diff
Pin] keyword and manually create an instance of your differential buffer by
hooking up your single-ended buffers as a pseudo-differential buffer.

Hope this helps

Best,

Timothy Coyle

President