[IBIS-Users] Re: [IBIS] Validation of composite current

From: Mike LaBonte <mike@labonte.com>
Date: Sun Mar 10 2013 - 13:09:21 PDT
When you write "IBIS I-T curves are getting truncated at the rise and fall
transitions" do you mean EDA tools are doing the truncating? There are
several behaviors among the tools, and the tendency is to reduce the length
of the V-T curves to the minimum needed to represent an edge, to avoid
overclocking issues. But the fact that current changes often appear before
the voltage changes at the output does raise does raise some questions:

1) Is it necessary to capture pre-driver current? The intention of
[Composite Current] was to improve k-factor determination for
Pullup/Pulldown turnon/turnoff. Currents before the start of the output
transition should be irrelevant.

2) Should IBIS add features to model transition intervals that are shorter
than the waveforms needed to fully characterize each transition, without
discarding data? This was discussed recently, and I believe it was seen as
a significant challenge.

Mike