{Spam?} [IBIS-Users] RE: Simulator interpretation of ibis data

From: Muranyi, Arpad <Arpad_Muranyi@mentor.com>
Date: Wed Aug 28 2013 - 09:12:54 PDT
Shravanthi,

I am not sure how to answer your question because I don't
understand what you mean by "unequal data".  Please explain
what you mean by that.

Regarding what you call "overshoot", first you have to
understand what that is caused by in the real device.

Consider a pulldown transistor as the output driver, connected
to GND.  In this configuration it works as an inverter, meaning
that its controlling gate voltage has to go up when the output
voltage goes down.  But the channel of the transistor will only
turn on after the gate voltage goes past the Vth (threshold
voltage).  Before that the channel is pretty much turned off,
or it is in a high impedance state.  During this time, the
upwards moving gate voltage is coupled to the output through
the parasitic capacitances inside the transistor.  So before
the output voltage starts coming down, it goes up a little bit
due to the waveform on its gate coupling to the output.  This
is a real effect and you should not eliminate it from the IBIS
model's waveforms.

To answer your question on how these waveforms are used in the
tools, you might want to look at pg. 4-9 in this presentation:

http://www.eda.org/ibis/summits/jun03b/muranyi1.pdf

This explains how the V-t tables (waveforms) are converted to
a scaling coefficient to scale the I-V curves with respect to
time as the buffer is switching high to low or low to high.

I hope this answers most of your questions...

Thanks,

Arpad