[IBIS-Users] RE: [IBIS] Overclocking effect with composite current

From: Bradley Brim <bradb@cadence.com>
Date: Mon Feb 03 2014 - 13:58:24 PST
Hi Scott,

We began to discuss this topic last Friday afternoon at the IBIS Summit in Santa Clara ...
I understand your points now and then as:
    (1) Even a transistor-level model may not represent all the relevant behavior of some buffers
    (2) Converting a transistor-level model to an IBIS model does not address (1)
    (3) To address (1) a more complex nonlinear transistor-level model is likely required
Completely agree with all these points.  Your points are not specific to the contribution of the paper cited by Rinsha originally presented in Japan or the follow-up paper presented last Friday in Santa Clara.

We believe it is highly interesting and much more than an academic exercise to enable the application of IBIS models instead of transistor-level models. Why? Because for analyses such as SSO where multiple buffers are applied transient circuit simulation times may be literally days when transistor-level models are applied versus minutes when IBIS buffers are applied. Memory consumption is also dramatically reduced. For specific example please refer to Romi Mayder's paper from DesignCon 2013: "Simulating Simultaneous Switching Noise with IBIS v5.0 Models". That paper demonstrates the successful application of BIRDs 95 and 98 for power-aware IBIS models with quantitative comparisons. The paper cited by Rinsha and the similar paper in last Friday's IBIS Summit discuss an extension to over-clocking for such power-aware models.

Correlation to physical measurements would help judge the quality of present transistor-level models and guide the development of more complex nonlinear transistor-level models. However, the efforts of enabling more efficient (w.r.t both time and memory) simulations with IBIS models should be judged on correlation between existing transistor-level models and the IBIS macromodels applied in their stead. One could envision producing power-aware IBIS models directly from measurements, but as your colleague Tom Dagostino pointed out last Friday in the IBIS Summit, the required PDN current measurements are extremely difficult (if not impossible) to perform with the required accuracy. The correlation with which you seem to be concerned is less the added detail of overclocking and more one of the core IBIS macromodel itself.

I don't recall the effects you cited as specific concern last Friday but another common concern is that pre-driver currents may be from a different power rail than for the analog portion of the buffer. This is not supported by the IBIS topology with its present single-rail power.

Suggest you document your specific concerns with transistor-level and IBIS macromodel representation for consideration by IBIS-ATM.

Best regards,
-Brad