RE: [IBIS-Users] A question on how to handle NA in the min/max columns

From: Bob Ross <bob@teraspeed.com>
Date: Fri Jul 11 2014 - 18:59:25 PDT
Arpad:

You have provided a good analysis and scratched the surface
of the problem.

I do not think IBIS should make it illegal to have some,
but not all corner data missing (e.g. the min and max
columns for some tables are NA).  There are pathological
cases where such a models are still accurate and useful.

E.g, ideal 50 ohm source resistors for the pullup and pulldown
tables to  the defined pulldown and pullup reference
voltages for all corners with only the typ table is given and
the min/max table corners have NA entries.  The intent might
be to model a fixed 50 ohm impedance for all pullup and pulldown
table corners and vary the V-T data.)  Or just providing an
ideal 50 ohm termination for all corners could be done
with just the typical data only, and that can be used with
other models with all numerical corner data given.

However, the user should be suspicious of and
probably reject models for real buffers with NAs in the
corners because they are incomplete or contain uncorrelated
information that would make corner analysis inaccurate.

Bob