Re: [IBIS-Users] Regarding VT Clipping

From: Mike LaBonte <mike@labonte.com>
Date: Tue Dec 16 2014 - 06:32:21 PST
A note about this particular ibis-users@eda.org list email: as IBIS
postmaster I received server notices on behalf of 38 recipients (out of
375) that the "[IBIS-Users] Regarding VT Clipping" email was rejected,
it never reached their in-boxes. Most but not all of the rejections were
from Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. Even the original sender of the email may not
have received it from the list.

If you did not receive an email "[IBIS-Users] Regarding VT Clipping"
about 3 hours ago, your email address probably is affected by this
problem. Until we resolve this issue, anyone wishing to make sure they
don't miss a single IBIS email can make sure they are subscribed at an
address other than whatever domain you are subscribed with that has the
rejection problem (mostly yahoo and hotmail). It's OK to be subscribed
at two addresses. Send any subscription requests to me.

It would also help not to post from yahoo.com where possible, since that
is the only server I know of that requests enforcement of DMARC rules
(http://dmarc.org/).

[techinfo] The rejections occur when email originates at a server (in
this case yahoo.com) that requests enforcement of DMARC rules, which
means receiving email servers are supposed to reject emails that say
they are from yahoo.com but in fact come from another domain (the list
server stanford.edu). Only some servers enforce the rule, most corporate
servers do not. It's a problem for email list reflectors, where emails
are received from the list server, not from the server where the email
originated. [/techinfo]

We might solve this by moving to Freelists at some point, as they have
found a clever way to get around the problem.

Mike