Re: FW: EIAJ home page

From: Charles Hymowitz <charles@intusoft.com>
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 11:36:28 PDT

Thanks John. I looked at the EIAJ prED -5302 standards page on I/O
Interface Model Project Group. The pdf file for the standard doesn't
have all the fonts embedded so its kind of hard to download but
attached is the letter I sent the webmaster. What do you (and
others) think of my conclusion??

Dear prED -5302 Standards Webmaster
We are about to post a free utility to convert IBIS models into SPICE
models on our web site; a very important utility that is missing from
most SPICE users software. So we are very interested in the SPICE
side of things. We would, in future, like to support the I/O modeling
standard.

But one big problem, unless I am missing something with regard to the
proposed syntax, is that you are using non-standard Berkeley SPICE
syntax for the MOSFET element. I don't know who proposed this but it
won't work with anyone's SPICE simulator (except the one who proposed
the syntax I imagine)

Therefore this will slow acceptance of this standard dramatically
unless one of three things happen:

1) someone modifies the MOSFET code or B element behavioral model code
in Berkeley SPICE 3 to accept the syntax (then every SPICE vendor
could adapt the free Berkeley code into their simulator) or

2) someone creates an XSPICE model (public domain AHDL available from
Georgia Tech Institute) using C code (again, then every SPICE vendor
could adapt the XSPICE code into their simulator)

3) someone creates a utility to convert the prED-5302 model code into
a SPICE 2G.6 or SPICE 3 style model.

The problem with 3) is that you can't easily do table models in
SPICE2G syntax which is the only compatible standard SPICE syntax, and
SPICE 3 doesn't support a table model. Therefore unless 1) or 2) are
accomplished it appears that this "standard" will not become one.

Charles Hymowitz - V.P. Prod. Dev.
Intusoft
email: charles@intusoft.com, CompuServe: intusoft@compuserve.com
Web: http://www.intusoft.com