Re: Ver. 3.2 and Ver. 2.1 Models

From: Scott McMorrow <scott@vasthorizons.com>
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 13:32:56 PDT

Stephen,

We have done some real system correlation work which we are not
at liberty to share. However, when we do, we perform TDR measurements
of board parameters and use this to calibrate both our field solver
results and in-circuit measurements of driver strength and edge-rate.

We then crank these into our modeling efforts. Our results have been
very good with up to 1.5 Gbit/second data streams.

In most cases, however, we have neither the time, nor the allocated
funds to perform such a rigorous correlation. Instead we make the
assumption that our customers are supplying validated Spice models,
which we use in further extraction and correlation work. In many cases
we work with semiconductor vendors who do correlate their Spice
decks to real silicon. Thus, an IBIS correlation to Spice is quite
valid.

The intent of the accuracy spec is that IBIS models be correlated
to actually measurement. In reality, this is not always possible. We
think that correlation to the Spice is the second best alternative
in most cases.

regards,

scott