[IBIS] Parameterization in BIRD 75

Subject: [IBIS] Parameterization in BIRD 75
From: Muranyi, Arpad (arpad.muranyi@intel.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 14:38:08 PDT

To All,

Bob and I were talking about some of the details on the
parameterization issue for BIRD 75. The question came up
whether Berkeley SPICE 3F5 can have parameterized element
values.

Since neither one of us is very familiar with the language
we wanted to pose this question to this list in hope that
an expert could tell us whether Berkeley SPICE can do this
or not.

HSPICE (and others) can use a text string as the value
of elements, for example

            R1 n1 n2 R=resistance or
            R1 n1 n2 resistance

where the value of "resistance" is defined in a .param
statement:

            .param resistance=5

or on the subcircuit definition line:

       .subckt n1 n2 ... sub_ckt_name resistance=5

Looking at the Berkeley SPICE manual we could not find
any mention of ".param", nor did we see any examples
for the above in the subcircuit description. To make
things worse, we didn't see any element examples which
used variable names, only hard coded numeric values.
This is also true for the controlled sources, even for
the "non linear dependent" source (B-element), which
has a nice set of functions, but neither one of the
examples use variable names, only node names for node
voltages or source names for branch currents. ("pi"
does show up in one example, but we couldn't figure out
whether this was a built-in reserved variable for 3.14....
or a user defined parameter).

We would like to get anyone's expert opinion on whether
Berkeley SPICE can have any parameters.

As reference, this is the location of the manual we were
studying:

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Classes/IcBook/SPICE/UserGuide/elements_fr.htm

Thanks in advance.

Arpad Muranyi